Hey everyone! I hope you all had an amazing week/weekend! I know I really enjoyed my time off school while being home. As this post is about last week, I decided it makes most sense to post now instead of later when I will forget.

While I was home I did multiple things that improved my mental well being and feelings regarding my head and exercise. I went on various walks, hikes, outings, and ate the best food with my family. These activities really assisted with my headaches, neck pains, and discomfort I have felt while doing other exercises. I find going outdoors allows me to not feel the discomfort of masks, headphones, or other head related materials that tend to cause me pains. It may sound funny but I think ear buds, tight masks, and indoor spaces increase my headaches while exercising, but none of my hikes and or walks induced any pains. Overall while being home and in nature and with family resulted in zero stress, activity, or other related head/neck pains. I found that finding the time to relax and be outside really allowed my body to be at peace and not just my school mindset.

I thought today I would also touch on some history of concussions, what they are, and the affects etc.

(the information shared below is either sited from attached links and or my own knowledge and experience)

Concussion: “traumatic brain injury that affects your brain function”

Symptoms at impact and or after:

• Headache
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue or drowsiness
  • Blurry vision

Long term affects I have noticed:

• neck sensitivity
  • light sensitivity
  • sound sensitivity
  • headaches
  • screen sensitivity
  • any head impact or jolt of the head and neck can lead to worsened symptoms

Why is it important to be educated on concussions?

• they can happen to anyone, in almost any space
  • they do not fully heal
  • they affect your mental health
  • they are a brain trauma meaning confusion, uncertainty, troubles reading/writing/ understanding, pains, and sensitivity in the future
  • a doctor cannot fix, prescribe, or fully understand the level of your concussion (everyone is different)
  • it will affect every aspect of your life afterwards (at least while the concussion is still fresh)

What helps me and what I have been discovering through my inquiry:

• outdoors allow for better outcomes of exercise
  • balancing the types of exercise
  • headphones and masks indoors allow for too much pressure, constraint, and sound sensitivity leading to negative outcomes
  • warming up is key (especially my whole body)
  • water is MANDATORY
  • activity with people
  • board games and puzzles are great mental challenges that allow me to feel mentally exercised but not in pain (avoiding TV and screens)
  • getting good sleep and eating well
  • getting out of the house

Overall, these are just some facts I thought would be important to share so everyone is aware of some symptoms and or side affects from concussions. I am learning more and more through my inquiry that even though I need to be extra cautious when returning to activity, my injuries will not limit me forever, and all I need are guidelines!

Have a happy week everyone! Thanks for stopping by:)

• Em:)